It’s easy for us to maintain oral hygiene. Brushing is a part of our daily routine and often the first thing we do in the morning.
If only it were as easy for dogs.
Because dogs don’t understand the importance of oral health and are really skeptical about us sticking a long brushy thing into their mouths every now and then, it is wrong of us to expect patience.
Thankfully, science has made multiple advancements, and today, we have alternatives such as dog dental water additives that make life easy for us. Otherwise, imagine having to deal with a foul breath every time your dog comes close to you!
So, what are these water additives? Are they safe? Which one can you buy? We are answering all these FAQs in our detailed guide today.
What are Dog Dental Water Additives?
You can liken these to a mouth wash. They are meant to be added to water for the purpose of rinsing dogs’ mouths. They are fairly new in the market and are starting to catch on. Vets have also started recommending them for dogs that have the following problems:
- Yellow teeth
- Bad breath
- Swollen or inflamed gums
- Poor appetite
Dental water additives address two main dental issues that dog face – periodontal disease and tartar buildup. However, it is very important to buy only good quality products because a few may have harmful chemicals in them.
Is it Safe to use Dog Dental Water Additives?
This depends on the product you choose. As aforesaid, a few have harmful chemicals that can cause health issues. Other than that, they are fairly safe.
The trick is to be informed about the harmful ingredients. Many have, for example, xylitol. This is an artificial sweetener and is harmful to dogs. Choose an additive that has no sweeteners at all or has honey. Artificial colors (Yellow #5 and blue #1), foaming agents (sodium lauryl sulfate), and preservatives (EDTA and parabens) are other ingredients you should steer clear of.
To ensure complete safety, we recommend that you speak to the vet and buy the additive he/she recommends. Your vet knows your dog’s medical history and can prescribe something that’s not harsh.
Are Dog Dental Water Additives Good Replacements for Brushing?
Would you rather just use mouthwash every day? We think not.
It is the same with canines.
These water additives are alternatives but not proper replacements. Any expert would recommend brushing teeth, but we understand it is not always possible. So a regimen of professional teeth cleaning and daily rinse with these additives can promise great dental health.
Best dog dental water additive
Now that we have the answers let’s skim through the best products the market has to offer.
1) Oxyfresh Premium Pet Water Additive
Oxyfresh is odorless and tasteless. That’s what we absolutely love about it. There’s no chance that your dog will notice his/her water bowl has something else in it! So, you won’t have to worry about a thing. Here are a few highlights of the product that you should be aware of:
- It works to eliminate bad breath, take care of tartar buildup, clean gums, and fight plaque.
- It is completely alcohol-free.
- You only need to add 1 cap of the additive into a bowl of water every day.
- It is 100% non-toxic and does not contain any ingredients that may harm your dog.
- You can also use it for cats and birds.
- In very few cases, dogs have had an upset stomach due to this additive. So, if your dog has a sensitive tummy, we advise you to consult the vet before purchasing it.
2) Nylabone Advanced Oral Care
While Nylabone is available in 3 different flavors, we absolutely love the Ultra Clean variant. It is a liquid tartar remover that makes dental care a piece of cake! Here are features that have made it stand apart from the crowd:
- Add 1 tablespoon to 32 oz. of water, and you are done!
- Use it regularly for the best results.
- It cleans teeth and reduces plaque.
- It also works to freshen breath and ensure that there’s no oral hygiene problem.
- It is the easiest to use solution for complete oral care.
- The brand mentions that you don’t need to brush your dog’s teeth if you use this solution, but we advise against it. Like we mentioned before, it is not a replacement for regular oral care. It is a mouth wash that works very well.
3) Dental Fresh Water Additive
The manufacturers dub this additive as a “toothbrush in a bottle” because it effectively clears out tartar and plaque. It is also clinically proven to tackle dental issues such as swollen gums, halitosis, and discolored teeth. Please keep reading to unearth a few more details:
- It is an advanced formula that treats dental problems and facilitates fresh breath.
- It is safe to use daily.
- The unique self-regulating formula activates and destroys germs that cause dental issues in dogs.
- It does not contain sugar, surfactants, detergents, mint flavors, or alcohol. However, it does contain tetrasodium EDTA. This is why we think you should talk to the vet about it to ensure it is completely safe.
- It has no taste.
4) Zymox Water Oral Solution
If you are looking for a solution that primarily takes care of dry mouth concerns, this one will do the trick for you. Here’s why you should buy it:
- It is a brushless oral care water additive.
- It removes plaque and ensures that all odor-causing bacteria are eliminated.
- It does not contain alcohol or xylitol.
- It is also very safe and can be used daily. Unless your dog has specific health problems, regular use will not be harmful.
- 2 pumps of this oral solution in 4 cups of drinking water every day will show results very quickly. Make sure you use it every time you change the water.
5) Naturel Promise Fresh Dental Water Additive
This water additive promises 12 hours of fresh breath and is recommended for daily use. You can use it for dogs and cats of all ages. Here’s why we say it is an excellent product:
- It is a colorless liquid.
- It contains only natural and safe ingredients.
- You can use it daily by adding 1 cup (bottle cap) of the additive into the water bowl.
- It mainly addresses plaque and tartar. It also gets rid of bad breath. If your dog has any other serious dental issues, you should visit the vet first.
- We advise you to give it a few days or weeks to show results. Expecting it to work overnight is wrong.
Even though all these dog dental water additives are available without prescriptions, we strongly suggest that you speak to the vet before deciding anything. While most ingredients are safe, dogs may be allergic or sensitive to a few. Every dog is different, and the needs vary drastically. The vet is the best judge, and it is always ideal to let him/her do the job.
Also, as much as we would love for it to be true, this is not a replacement for brushing. Brushing has always been the best. This is simply an alternative when all else fails. We hope you exercise caution and do what’s best for your pooch. All the best!